Enough has been said about Ravan and Raavanan… from Big B to behindwoods everybody has lauded, raved and critiqued. So my review is going to be crisp…
- Vikram, Vikram and Vikram: He shines throughout the movie. The effort, portrayal and passion is flawless. The entire movie rides on his wide shoulders and when he plunges everything goes down with him. Makes me wonder if Abhishek would fit the bill…
- Cinematography – Breathtaking visuals and never-seen-before angles. Applause to Santhosh sivan & Manikandan
- Priyamani – She eludes strength and almost goes unnoticed, but deserves credit. Perfect, clean shot.
- Rohini – Dubbing for Ash… its was not very easy for her but you win even when ash fails.
Thumbs-Down: (needless to say this is going to be long)
- Story & Screenplay – Weak.. which is very surprising for Mani Ratnam as a director. He was the one who gave us everyday lives with finesse and conviction, made us beleive in the protoganists, perfect air-tight scripts. A big let-down.
- Dialogues – For heaven’s sake Suhasini, please let us be… go do your talkies or something else….
- Prithvi – Mani Ratnam movie was a feather on his cap but his role gets nothing but a big yawn.
- Aishwarya – No expectations to begin with, except for her eyes, i can think of a handful of heroines who would have essayed her character 10 times better. Mani look beyond the bachan clan… there is talent, beleive me.
- Costumes – Even i could have dressed up aishwarya better. She is a dancer but what is with the giant skirt salwars and 50s hair style? Nalini Sriram would have been a better pick.
- Stellar Scenes – S-O-R-R-Y(Roja), Kambili poochi uruthu(Mouna Ragam), Thundering(Agni Natchathiram), Nee azhaga irukenu nenaikala…,Neenga nallavara Kettavara, En Devava konutiyeda.. No such scenes. SIGH.. Double and Triple SIGH!!!!
I could not categorize the music in either cases, BGM was good but songs do not mesmerize you except for a couple of them – Usure Poguthey and Veera. Partly to blame, is the humongous burden of expectation which Mani did not stand up to while picturizing them.
Lets hope next time around Mani takes the time to read my blog before directing a movie. WINK!!!WINK!!!